
stylefile.com
My husband has this shirt. It pretty much expresses my feelings (prior to the past few months) about running. I never understood why people ran. I was supportive of and encouraged my daughter to participate in cross country at school. I didn't really understand why my husband started running when he did a couple of years ago, but figured it was him running and not me, so his choice. I listened when friends and family told me I should try running....I would feel better....It would relieve stress..blah, blah, blah
A few months ago something changed. I went running (a slow job/walk) when it had been a year since my dad died. It felt so good. After that, I went a few other times, but nothing consistent until I heard about the Couch to 5K program. I was inspired to give it a try (Thanks Jan and Lianna and Amy), and am so grateful for the encouragement of my family :) Couch to 5K gave me a program to follow. It gave me an instant goal.
I have finished the Couch to 5K program now. I am still running :) Running is a great stress reliever. It provides me with a way to clear my mind and regain focus. It is something that my dad would be proud of me for. Running has taught me a lot about myself...
1. I am not a quitter.
There are so many times I have wanted to quit when it gets tough running, but I don't. I remind myself that I don't quit. I remember everything I have been through and that I have made it. I don't quit.
2. Sometimes times are tough but God will get me through.
When I want to quit, I don't because I know God will not let me down. He has not left me through all of the difficult times in life, and He won't now.
3. Turn off the shake to shuffle on your iphone when you run with a playlist :)
4. I am stronger than I believe.
The first time I ran a 5K I hadn't finished the training. I ended up running the entire race. It was so hard. When I wanted to quit the most Philippians 4:13 popped into my head. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. This got me through.
5. I am a fighter.
Within a few minutes, someone passed me whose t-shirt said pain is just weakness leaving the body. It reminded me that with every step as I fought the pain off I was getting stronger.
No comments:
Post a Comment