I’ve been
awake on and off since 4:30 this morning.
My mind is jumbled, my emotions are conflicting, and it’s seems like all
I can do is pray to help try to sort it out.
We took
Shelby to Senior Day at SDSU yesterday.
When I think
about sending her to college I am conflicted.
There’s so much excitement, so much planning, so much fear…
I am so proud
of the person she is. She has a heart
for God. She is responsible. She is compassionate towards others. She is fun-hearted. She knows right from wrong. She understands commitment. She has hope.
I am so
worried about her being on her own. I
worry about her being scared. I worry
about someone taking advantage of her kindness.
I worry about her stumbling, and having to pick herself up.
I worry about
myself. It terrifies me to think about
the day we drop her off, and have to walk away.
I worry about how empty I will feel inside when she leaves this house.
As I pondered
all of this and more (trust me that is the condensed version above) from 4:30
on, I realized I was using the words like worried, scared, afraid, and
terrified a lot. This is supposed to be such
an exciting time in all of our lives.
Those aren’t the words I should be focusing on. I need to put my focus on God and his amazing
plan for Shelby. His plan doesn’t include
words like worried. God tells us not
worry about tomorrow because today has enough problems of its own. He tells us He knows the plans for our future
and they are for us to prosper. He has
planned great things for us. He says do
not be afraid for He is with us always.
He says to trust in Him always, and He will show us the right way.
My answer, my
peace, my source of rest was right there all along; trust me. I have to put my trust in God. I have to fully trust that He will take care
of Shelby. It doesn’t mean that life won’t
be tough, and that it won’t be a struggle driving away that day in August. It doesn’t mean that I won’t experience
worries and fears; just that I have to turn them over to God. I have to trust Him to take care of Shelby
and my family.
It settles me
down and brings my thoughts back to how amazing Shelby is. It reminds me to pray
that God will keep showing her and us the plans He has for her future. It reminds me how important it is to pray each
day that He gives us wisdom and guides us in the right direction.
I think about
how proud I am of her.
Thanks for sharing this. I too am really proud of Shelby - you and James have done such a good job raising her. I'm sure it is hard, but I think about how exciting it was to go to college and am happy that she also has the chance to go (and wants to)!!
ReplyDelete