August 2013 was a month of goodbyes. So bittersweet… So much excitement and so much sadness all
wrapped together. With each passing day,
we were one day closer to taking Shelby to college. It’s a moment I have dreaded for
years….wondering how I would ever survive saying goodbye. As Shelby’s friends started leaving for
college, it became more and more real that leaving for college was really
happening….soon….
One of the first goodbyes for Shelby and her friends took
place on a night that Shelby had to work at Target. Her sweet friends visited her at work, so
that she could be part of the goodbye.
They took photos and a friend posted them on Facebook under the album
there is no good in goodbye. The photos (a
few are posted below) brought me to tears, as the reality of Shelby leaving
suddenly, instantaneously, immediately, in this instant hit me…. her friends
were leaving for school and she would leave soon, too. At first, I totally agreed with album title there
is no good in goodbye. However, the
longer I looked at the photos and thought about it, I decided I needed a change
of perspective… I needed to find the good in goodbye.




The search for the good in goodbye started simply with Shelby
and her friends. Shelby is blessed with
amazing friends. Goodbye wouldn’t hurt
so badly, if they weren’t so amazing. As
a parent, I am so grateful for the tightknit group of friends Shelby developed
throughout her high school years. It may
have taken them graduating for me to truly understand what a blessing they were
in her life and in ours. Goodbye is
tough, especially when those you are leaving play such an integral part of your
life. I pray that they will remain
friends for life. The kind of friends
that you can call at anytime regardless of how long it has been since you
talked and it’s like nothing has changed.
The kind of friends where you hope when you grow up your kids are
friends.
My search continued.
I realized when you love someone unconditionally it’s hard to be sad
when that someone is excited about what brings you tears. Although nervous, Shelby was excited about
starting college. She was ready to start
the next phase of her life. It’s tough
to think this next phase starts away from home... without seeing her every day, taking care of
whatever she needs help with, watching daily at how she deals with trial and
triumph, and guiding her along. My mind
started wandering to how nothing in life stays the same. Life is always changing; nothing stays stagnant. Relationships are always growing and
changing. College is a time for our
relationship to evolve.
College is a time for Shelby to grow and change. To take what we have taught her and apply it
to life. To choose what is most
important to her. To choose what she
wants to be in this life. While this is
scary to think about, it’s also exciting.
It’s a time to trust that God will lead her and that she will
follow. When I get to this point, my perspective
has changed, it makes life better. God
is good. And there I have it….my search
for the good in goodbye is over. God is
good.
My job as a parent is to trust…trust my daughter and trust
in God.
AND……..Thanks to technology, Shelby is only a phone call, a text, an e-mail, a Facebook message, a Tweet, an Instagram, or a Facetime moment away :)
Love that you are finding the "good" in such a hard thing!! I'll be looking to you for help in the next few years.....I think the greatest good is in what an amazing daughter you've raised. :) So much to be proud of!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mel
ReplyDelete